WHEN BOLLYWOOD ACTRESS SRIDEVI SAID NO TO STEVEN SPIELBERG :

Bollywood actor Sridevi passed away on Saturday night after a cardiac arrest. She was 54. Sridevi was not only the most in-demand actress of her time, she also famously made her male co-stars insecure. The actor who made her Bollywood debut with Himmatwala opposite Jeetendra, went on to rule Bollywood for years to come. In fact, Steven Spielberg, who was making Jurassic Park in 1993, wanted to cast the actress in a small role in the film. She was at the peak of her career and felt the role didnt meet her stature. Sridevi refused Spielberg and we had to wait all the way till Aishwarya Rai Bachchan for a Bollywood heroine to make her mark in Hollywood. Jurasssic Park went on to become a cult film, with its reboot launched in 2015. However, Jurassic Park was just one in the long list of film Sridevi refused. She also said no to Darr opposite Shah Rukh Khan a few years later. She had told media then, After Chandni and Lamhe, I feel Darr would have been an ordinary character for me. If Im playing Shah Rukh Khans role, then of course, I would have loved to do it. The character Juhi played was new for her and so it was good for her. But for me, it was something I had done many times before.   Rediff.com : 25th. Feb,18

Advertisements

SHAH RUKH KHAN’s ‘ZERO’ WILL BE SRIDEVI’s LAST FILM :

Earlier today the report of, legendary actress and often considered as India’s first female superstar, Sridevi’s death shooked the nation. Such was her aura and people’s love and adulation for her that the entire nation is in a state of shock. Sridevi was an icon of Indian cinema in truest sense. Her glorious and illustrated filmography is a proof of it. After ruling the rooster for decades, she took a break from films in 1997. Apart from a delayed release in 2004, she was away from the big screen for almost 15 years. But then like a true Hindi film superstar she made a comeback and how. The film was English Vinglish, a critical and commercial success. Last year she was seen Mom, which again saw her in a lead role and this one too was a success at the box office.While she hadn’t signed any film post Mom, fans will be able to see their favourite actress one last time on the big screen later this year in Shah Rukh Khan’s Zero. Sridevi will have a cameo in the Shah Rukh Khan starrer where she’ll be seen playing herself. She shot for her scene last year in October. According to a report in Pinkvilla, Sridevi will be seen sharing screen space with Karisma Kapoor, Alia Bhatt and Shah Rukh Khan. The scene is said to be a film party scene which actresses attend.  Rediff.com : 25th. Feb,18

POLITICIANS, LEADERS, ACTORS EXPRESSED GRIEF AND SHOCK OVER THE UNTIMELY DEMISE OF SRIDEVI AT THE AGE OF 54 YEARS :

Politicians, leaders and other actors express grief and shock over the untimely demise of Sridevi. The 54-year-old actress reportedly suffered a cardiac arrest in Dubai. Sridevi was in Dubai to the attend the wedding of her nephew — Mohit Marwah. President Ram Nath Kovind paid his condolences to Sridevi’s family. He tweeted, “Shocked to hear of passing of movie star Sridevi. She has left millions of fans heartbroken. Her performances in films such as Moondram Pirai, Lamhe and English Vinglish remain an inspiration for other actors. My condolences to her family and close associates.”  Kamal Haasan turned-politician tweeted, “Have witnessed Sridevi’s life from  an adolescent teenager to the magnificeint lady she became. Her stardom was well deserved. Many happy moments with her flash through my mind including the last time I met her. Sadma’s lullaby haunts me now. We’ll miss her.” Sridevi got her first leading role in K Balachander’s Moondru Mudichu, where she co-starred with Kamal Hassan and Rajinikanth. Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt tweeted saying, “Jolted by the news of Sridevi’s sudden death.” The death of the veteran actress prompted an outpouring of grief among fans and fellow Bollywood actors.  Sadiq Khan, mayor of London, tweeted saying, “So sad to hear the news of the death of such a terrifically talented actress, performer and producer.”   Rediff.com : 25th. Feb,18

PM MODI EXPRESSED HIS GRIEF OVER THE UNTIMELY DEMISE OF VETERAN BOLLYWOOD ACTRESS SRIDEVI :

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday expressed his grief over the untimely demise of veteran Bollywood actor Sridevi.  “Saddened by the untimely demise of noted actor Sridevi. She was a veteran of the film industry, whose long career included diverse roles and memorable performances. My thoughts are with her family and admirers in this hour of grief. May her soul rest in peace,” the Prime Minister tweeted.  A Padma Shri recipient, Sridevi passed away on Saturday night due to a cardiac arrest in Dubai, where she was attending a family wedding with her husband Boney Kapoor and her younger daughter Khushi.  Meanwhile, Rishi Kapoor, Preity Zinta, Varun Dhawan and other members of the film fraternity mourned the death of the noted actress.  Rediff.com : 25th. Feb,18

 

ENFORCEMENT DIRECTORATE WROTE TO 16 MORE BANKS ON LOANS TAKEN BY NIRAV MODI & MEHUL CHOKSI AFTER PNB FRAUD :

 

The Enforcement Directorate has expanded its probe against diamantaires Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi to include loans taken by them from 16 other banks over the past few years, apart from the Punjab National Bank. This may take the quantum of alleged losses caused by them to banks to nearly Rs 20,000 crore, said sources.  ED Director Karnal Singh has written to the banks for details of the loans given to the two, the present status of the loans, the collaterals offered, and the form and nature of the loans.  We are at present seeking information from banks which have given bigger loans. We have learnt that these loans have been granted at collaterals which are just 12 per cent of the total value of the loans. We want to see on what basis these loans were granted and whether these are still recoverable. However, we have not asked any bank to file a complaint with us, an ED official said. Sources said that the CBI and ED probe into the alleged Rs 11,400-crore fraud perpetrated by Modi and Choksi on PNB indicates that more than two dozen banks may have been exposed to loans ranging between Rs 5,000 crore and Rs 10,000 crore. Both Choksi and Modi, who left the country just before PNB lodged a complaint of fraud, havent replied to summons. With the authorities attaching their properties and accounts, they are unlikely to be in a position to pay the loans any time soon. The government on Saturday revoked their passports.  On February 16, the ministry of external affairs had suspended the validity of their passports with immediate effect for a period of four weeks, and had given them a weeks time to respond as to why their passports should not be impounded or revoked.  Rediff.com : 25th. Feb,18

72% OF THE VOTERS EXERCISED THEIR FRANCHISE IN THE BYPOLL TO BIJEPUR ASSEMBLY SEAT :

Around 72 per cent of the voters exercised their franchise in the bypoll to Bijepur Assembly seat in Odisha’s Bargarh district on Saturday, an Election Commission official said. The voting process largely remained peaceful as heavy deployment of security personnel was made across the constituency. The voters have locked the fate of 13 candidates even, though it is primarily being seen as a triangular fight between the Biju Janata Dal (BJD), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress. The results of the bypoll would be declared on February 28.  Chief Electoral Officer Surendra Kumar informed that the Presiding Officer of Booth No.-193 had been placed under suspension as he was found trying to influence voters to vote in favour of a particular candidate.   The voters queued up outside polling booths much before 8.00 a.m when the voting was to start officially, said the EC official. About 2,21,144 voters were slated to exercise their franchise which would decide the fate of 13 candidates, including BJD’s Rita Sahu, BJP’s Ashok Panigrahi and Congress’ Pranaya Sahu. The by-poll was necessitated following the death of Congress MLA Subal Sahu in August 2017. There were 281 polling booths, out of which 155 marked as ‘sensitive’ or ‘critical’. While the voting was largely peaceful, reports of technical glitches in the Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) machines came from some booths. Tight security measures were in place to ensure smooth and peaceful polling, with five platoons of central paramilitary forces, 36 platoons of the state police deployed at various strategic points in the constituency.  IANS : 24th. Feb,18

 

JHARKHAND HIGH COURT REJECTED THE BAIL PLEA OF FORMER BIHAR CM LALU YADAV IN FODDER SCAM CASE :

The Jharkhand High Court on Friday rejected the bail plea of former Bihar Chief Minister and RJD chief Lalu Prasad who is lodged in the Birsa Munda Central Jail here after his conviction in a fodder scam case. Justice Apresh Kumar Singh rejected Lalu Prasad’s bail plea after going through documents pertaining to his conviction by a CBI court in the fodder scam related to withdrawal of Rs 84.5 lakh from the Deoghar treasury. The High Court said bail could be granted only when the convict had undergone half of the sentence awarded to him. A special CBI court in Ranchi had convicted on December 23, 2017 and later sentenced Lalu Prasad to jail for three-and-half years in a case that pertained to withdrawals from the Deoghar treasury. The quantum of punishment was pronounced on January 6, 2018, by CBI Special Judge Shivpal Singh, following which the former Railway Minister had appealed in the Ranchi High Court.  The Rashtriya Janata Dal chief got five-year imprisonment in Chaibasa treasury case. The High Court will hear the bail plea in the Chaibasa treasury case on March 9. Last Friday, High Court Justice Apresh Kumar Singh had granted four-week provisional bail on health grounds to former Bihar Chief Minister and co-accused Jagannath Mishra. Mishra was also handed out five-year jail and imposed a fine in the Chaibasa fodder scam case. He too had challenged the CBI court decision in the High Court.  IANS : 23rd. Feb,18

SINGER ANGARAG MAHANTA KNOWN AS PAPON HAS BEEN BARRED FROM ESSEL GROUP AFTER KISSING CASE :

 

Singer Angarag Mahanta, also known as Papon, has been barred from Essel Group after the singer “inappropriately kissed” a minor contestant of one of the group’s shows. Earlier on Saturday, Papon had tweeted that following the controversy, he was in “no mental state to fulfil most of my professional obligations” and so he stepped down as the judge of singing reality show “The Voice India Kids”. Addressing the issue, Subhash Chandra, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha and Chairman, Essel Group & ZEE, tweeted on Saturday: “I have advised CMD of the company to take stringent action not only against him (Papon) but others involved. Papon is barred forever from our group.” His recorded episodes of the &TV show have also been removed. Papon landed in trouble after a video in which he is seen planting a kiss on the lips of the minor girl went viral online on Friday. The same day, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) issued notice to both the singer and the channel. “The Papon incident is unfortunate and is unequivocally condemned. Anyone who fails to abide by our code of conduct will not be engaged by our network,” read a statement from &TV, which is the Hindi GEC of Zee group. “We have faith in the judicial system to take the necessary actions that they deem fit. We have extended our full cooperation to the concerned authorities.” Immediately after the incident was brought to their notice, an internal enquiry was initiated. “After the inquiry, instant support was extended towards the participants and their families.” An on-call psychologist is available to “offer counsel to the children and their parents and an external counsel has been appointed” to address the situation. “We are committed to the well-being of our participants and would like to restate that a safe and secure environment is of utmost priority to us,” read the statement. The police in Guwahati have registered a case against the Assamese singer.  IANS ¨25th. Feb,18

SRIDEVI’s BROTHER-IN-LAW SAID SRIDEVI HAD NO HISTORY OF HEART DISEASE :

Sridevi’s brother-in-law and actor Sanjay Kapoor said that the whole family was in shock with the sudden demise of the veteran actor.  He also said that she had no history of heart ailment. The actor, 54, died on Saturday night at around 11 pm reportedly due to cardiac arrest in Dubai, where she had gone to attend her nephew Mohit Marwah’s wedding.  Speaking to Khaleej Times, Sanjay said that she was in the hotel room in Dubai when it happened. “We are completely shocked. She had no history of a heart attack,” he said. Sanjay landed in Dubai on Sunday morning. Meanhwile, Indian embassy officials in Dubai are working closely with the local authorities to ensure that the mortal remains of the Bollywood icon is taken to Mumbai today.   According to sources in the consulate, forensic and lab reports are still awaited following which the process of repatriation will begin.  “Since this was declared a natural death, post-mortem is unlikely to be carried out,” another source added Consulate officials said the actor’s body is currently at the police headquarters morgue in Al Qusais and a consulate employee is with the family. They are trying to help expedite the procedures for repatriation.  The Rediff.com : 25th. Feb,18

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑